(Above: The original steering group members on the day of our official launch, 23rd October 2010, as an independent parent-led participation forum)
Harrow Parents 4 Disabled Children (HP4DC) is a parent forum made up of a group of parents of disabled children. We represent the voices of families of disabled children from birth to 25 years living in the London Borough of Harrow.
HP4DC came as a direct result of partnership working with Harrow Council and Harrow Mencap through the Aiming High Programme in 2008. We were originally supported by Harrow Mencap to become independently parent-led in Oct 2010. We are funded by the Department of Education with huge support from Contact A Family and the National Network of Parent Carer Forums.
Our main aim is to encourage and increase parent participation, provide a wide range of information, encourage information sharing between parents and professionals (health, education and social care) and helping parent/carers to get together and support each other.
Our activities include:
- Representing parents on strategy boards and taking part in consultations
- Establishing working relationships with the local authority and other local organisations
- Helping parents to be informed about current SEND law through training and workshops.
- Developing a database of parent carers, and outreach to hard to reach community groups.
- We also run information drop/ins and Advisory Board meetings to discuss local issues.
CURRENT STEERING GROUP MEMBERS
HP4DC Steering Group Team pic
We welcome all parents and professionals who would like to find more about us or join us. Visit our COUNT ME IN page to find out more about how to join the steering group and support the work we do.
What Have We Been Doing?
- Drop-ins/Coffee Mornings
- Parents Information Days
- Benefits Workshop
- Transition Workshops
- SEND Reforms
- SEN Transport (Travel Assistance)
- Short Breaks
- SEN School Placement
- SEND Reforms Parent Advisory Group
- Local Offer
- ‘Future in Mind’
Strategy Board Membership
- Early Years Strategy Board
- Short Breaks Partnership Board
- SEN Transport Partnership Board
- SEND Reforms Working Groups
- Carers Champions
HP4DC is managed by
SPECIAL NEEDS COMMUNITY C.I.C
(Community Interest Company, Reg No. 11123977)
Which aims to
SUPPORT, EMPOWER & BRING FAMILIES TOGETHER
Find out more about
and how we support the work of the forum